Sonic 2 Swept The Box Office – 5 Reasons To Watch It
Paramount’s new production Sonic 2 swept the box office this weekend. It broke records with between $66 and $68 million. This figure had surprised fans, as the first installment reached $58 million in its opening, which was just before the COVID-19 pandemic began.
This figure is very encouraging for the movie industry, as it shows that family audiences are slowly returning to theaters. The Sega sequel opened at the box office on Thursday with $6.3 million in previews and has been growing ever since.
Sonic 2 Smashes With an A-list Cast
The cast of actors involved is being one of the main reasons for the success of the sequel to our blue friend. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 features comedian Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic, and Idris Elba is a new addition to the cast as the voice of the villainous Knuckles the Echidna, the voice of the fox Tails in the video game series is played by Colleen O’Shaughnessey. It will be Sonic’s sidekick in the film.
Image via Paramount Pictures.
Jim Carrey headlines the live-action cast in his acclaimed role as Dr. Robotnik, and James Marsden takes on the part of Sheriff Tom Wachowski. Many familiar faces include Natasha Rothwell, Tika Sumpter, Shemar Moore, Adam Pally, Tom Butler, and Lee Majdoub.
5 Reasons To Watch Sonic 2
The success of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is good news for Paramount and a confirmation that family films are coming back into relevance. This movie is full of entertainment and references to the video game it is based on, thus entertaining both fans of the game and children who have never played it.
Image Credit: Nintendo Wire
According to the movie’s official synopsis: “After settling in Green Hills, Sonic wants to prove he’s a hero. The acid test comes with the return of the evil Robotnik, and his new sidekick, Knuckles, in search of a civilization-destroying emerald. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on an adventure that will take them around the world in search of the precious stone to keep it from falling into the wrong hands.”
- Robotnik’s character. The evil Dr. Robotnik, played by Jim Carrey, looks almost the same as he did in the video game, with a very cartoonish and funny look. This change takes him away from his first version, with a more timid approach to the character. In this new installment, the villain features his trademark long mustache and his round glasses. This similarity will make fans of the videogame enjoy this character.
- Sonic and his problem with water. A laughable part of the character, both in the games and in the movies, is his phobia of water. In this new installment, we will see the character in amusing situations that both adults and children will enjoy, plus it is again faithful to what happens in the video game.
- The same song as in the video game. We could hear the characteristic Green Hills theme song in the trailer. The movie promises to have a lot of references to the video game’s soundtrack. What better to get into the atmosphere of the character than his music. Besides, the themes are wonderful, and it’s great that they have been rescued for this new installment.
- References to other movies. Do you remember the movie Risky Business? In this film, released in 1983 and starring Tom Cruise, the main character enjoyed moments of solitude in his house, dancing, and singing. From what we can see in the trailer, Sonic will enjoy dancing similarly and enjoying his solitude at home. This scene will be a lot of fun for the adults. Will there be more movie references?
- Batman references. We know that superheroes exist in this universe. Part of the promotion defines Sonic as Blue Justice, as a certain reference to The Batman. Coincidence? We don’t think so.
Sonic 2 swept the box office which is great for the industry, as we will see more following this stream. Are you going to go to watch Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
Featured Image via Paramount Pictures
Comic enthusiast, NFT and blockchain writer, and Spider-Man fanboy.