Move Aside Comic-Con, DC FanDome Will Be Warner Bros.’ Definitive Virtual Fan Event
With San Diego Comic-Con moving online this year amid pandemic concerns, it was already going to be a very different event. Panels will be live-streamed, fan engagement will all be virtual, and vendors will sell their wares via websites. Yet, one staple of Comic-Con may not make the transition: first looks and debut trailers for upcoming films and series. Warner Bros. and DC announced the DC FanDome virtual fan event, which more resembles Star Wars Celebration or the D23 Fan Event than Comic-Con. The DC FanDome virtual event will be a 24-hour online portal full of panels, exclusive looks, and other fun events all related to DC’s upcoming slate of projects.
DC TV will have a major presence at the event with Doom Patrol, Batwoman, Black Lightning, Lucifer, Pennyworth, Supergirl, The Flash, Watchmen, DC Super Hero Girls, Stargirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Young Justice: Outsiders, Teen Titans GO!, and Superman and Lois all having a presence there. The film side of the house will have plenty of events as well. It seems that James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad will be a centerpiece along with Wonder Woman 1984, out this fall. Other film “franchises,” like Shazam!, Aquaman, and the forthcoming The Batman from Matt Reeves will be there.
They will also lean heavily into the DC Multiverse idea, presenting the disparate comics, cartoons, TV series, and films as different branches of it. Most of the event content will be in the form of panels and exclusive footage and trailers for upcoming DC projects.
How the DC FanDome Virtual Fan Event Will Be Organized
The event will be “located” at www.DCFanDome.com, and the virtual space will be organized into separate “neighborhoods.” As this is a global event, the content will be available in multiple languages, so fans across the world can get involved. The neighborhoods will each focus on a different aspect of the DC Multiverse.
From the press release:
- DC WatchVerse: Here’s where you grab a seat, sit back and join our virtual audience and become completely engrossed in hours of must-see content from around the world. Everything from panels and exclusive screenings to never-before-seen footage, featuring cast, creators and behind-the-scenes crew from across DC Films, TV, Home Entertainment and Games.
- DC YouVerse: Venture into this world where the FANS are the stars to see the most amazing user-generated content, cosplay and fan art from around the world, including, perhaps, your own.
- DC KidsVerse: Need a way to entertain your kids for hours on end? We’ve got you covered inside a special world, which can be accessed directly at DCKidsFanDome.com. This area features a broad range of family-friendly activations for our younger fans.
- DC InsiderVerse: This creativity-based world contains a centerpiece video featuring legendary artist and DC CCO/Publisher Jim Lee, President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and creator of the DC TV Arrowverse, Executive Producer Greg Berlanti, welcoming fans with a 101-style introduction to the DC Multiverse. From there, go behind the scenes with the master artisans who bring DC to life in all its forms, from comic books to games, TV, movies, theme parks, consumer products and more.
- DC FunVerse: Take your DC FanDome experience and gather cool shareables; check out our comic book reader; DIY cool WW84 Golden Armor and Batmobile kits; plus digital giveaways and a store filled with merchandise, including some limited-edition exclusives.
Image via DC Entertainment
Chair and Chief Executive Officer at Warner Bros said of the event:
“There is no fan like a DC fan. For more than 85 years, the world has turned to DC’s inspiring heroes and stories to lift us up and entertain us, and this massive, immersive digital event will give everyone new ways to personalize their journey through the DC Universe without lines, without tickets and without boundaries. With DC FanDome, we’re able to give fans from around the world an exciting and unparalleled way to connect with all their favorite DC characters, as well as the incredible talent who bring them to life on the page and screen.”
Image via DC Entertainment
This event is surely inspired by the relative shutdown of mass gatherings in the wake of the novel coronavirus outbreak. Yet, one hopes that it represents the future of what DC and other entertainment companies do for these events. Going to a convention or fan event is a unique experience and something not to be missed. However, not everyone can afford to attend these events, especially if they live far away. Virtual events like these allow everyone to connect in a small way to their fandoms and with other fans in a way that’s (hopefully) more rewarding than on social media.
What do you think? Are you excited about the DC FanDome virtual fan event? Will you be checking it out on August 22, 2020? Share what you hope to see and your thoughts about bringing all cons online, even when the requirement to social distance is over.
Featured image via DC Entertainment
Joshua M. Patton is a father, veteran, and writer living in Pittsburgh, PA. The first books he read on his own were comics, and he's loved the medium ever since. He is the greatest star-pilot in the galaxy, a cunning warrior, and a good friend. His book of superhero short stories, Tales of Adventure & Fantasy: Book One is available as an ebook or paperback from Amazon.