Guillermo Del Toro’s Cabinet Of Curiosities Casting Announced
Director Guillermo del Toro’s resume is impressive to say the least. His films bring to life the surreal, the horrific, and the fantastical; and his recent short story collection with Amazon will be “a world of strange happenings, otherworldly horror, and dark fantasy.” So when Netflix announced that they’d be working with del Toro on a new anthology series, people were excited. Previously, it was going to be called Guillermo del Toro Presents 10 After Midnight, but it’s been renamed to Cabinet of Curiosities, a reference to the practice of collecting notable (and often unique) objects to display. It will be an eight episode series that will look at “equally sophisticated and sinister tales” that will challenge our traditional notions of horror. Two of the episodes will be original works from del Toro himself and the rest will be written and directed by people handpicked by the Academy Award-winning director. Now we have updates about the Cabinet of Curiosities casting, including actors/actresses, writers, and directors.
The new cast includes (for now): Essie Davis, Luke Roberts, Andrew Lincoln, F. Murray Abraham, Glynn Turman, Ben Barnes, Elpidia Carrillo, Hannah Galway, Crispin Glover, Demetrius Grosse, David Hewlett, Tim Blake Nelson, Sebastian Roché, and Peter Weller. Panos Cosmatos, Jennifer Kent and Vincenzo Natali will write and direct single episodes of the series. Additional episode directors include Ana Lily Amirpour, Catherine Hardwicke, Guillermo Navarro, David Prior, and Keith Thomas, and writers include Haley Z. Boston, Regina Corrado, David S. Goyer, Lee Patterson, Aaron Stewart-Ahn, and Mika Watkins.
Image via Warner Brothers
Here’s the list of cast and creatives working together on th set for Cabinet of Curiosities:
– Essie Davis (The Babadook), Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead), and Hannah Galway (Sex/Life) star in an episode written and directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadoo). This will be one of the original stories by del Toro.
– F. Murray Abraham (Mythic Quest), Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom), and Luke Roberts (Ransom) will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight), and directed by David Prior (The Empty Man). This will be based on a short story by Michael Shea.
– Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen), Elpidia Carrillo (Euphoria), Demetrius Grosse (Fear The Walking Dead), and Sebastian Roché (The Man in the High Castle) star in an episode written by Regina Corrado (Deadwood, The Strain) and directed by Guillermo Navarro (Godfather of Harlem, Narco). This will be the other original story by del Toro.
– Crispin Glover (River’s Edge) and Ben Barnes (Shadow and Bone) star in an episode written by Lee Patterson (Curve) and directed by Keith Thomas (Firestarter). This will be based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft.
– Peter Weller (Star Trek Into Darkness) stars in an episode directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy), who also wrote the episode along with Aaron Stewart.
– Mika Watkins (Origin) writes an episode based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft; it will be directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight). Cast TBA.
– David Hewlett (See) will star in an episode written and directed by Vincenzo Natali (Hannibal). It will be based on a short story by Henry Kuttner.
– Haley Z. Boston (Brand New Cherry Flavor) will write an episode based on a short story by comic book author Emily Carroll. It will be directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night). Cast TBA.
We don’t have any information on plots for each of the episodes, but hopefully those will be coming soon!
Cabinet of Curiosities is scheduled to premier sometime next year on Netflix.
What do you think of this Cabinet of Curiosities casting? Let us know in the comments below!
Keilin Huang is a freelance writer that likes the Oxford comma, reading from her neverending pile of books from the library, and Reeses peanut butter cups. She thanks her Dad for introducing her to his Superman comics and probably majored in Journalism because of Lois Lane.