Simu Liu's Rotten Tomatoes Reaction Brings Hilarious Responses
Comic Years Logo

Simu Liu’s Rotten Tomatoes Reaction Brings Hilarious Tiger Parenting Responses

author img
BY September 3, 2021

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings comes out September 3, but early reviews have already been coming in. Fans and the cast of the movie have been eagerly awaiting what the critics have to say, including Simu Liu, who plays the titular character. Rotten Tomatoes, the popular review aggregation website for movies and TV shows, gave the movie an 86% this past Monday, prompting Simu Liu’s Rotten Tomatoes reaction and creating a flood of hilarious tiger parenting responses on social media. You can see Liu’s tweet below:

“Tiger parenting” first landed on people’s radars in 2011 after Yale Law School professor Amy Chua published her memoir Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. The term refers to a strict kind of parenting often seen in Asian households where the “tiger parents” push their children to reach high levels of academic success, often encouraging perfect scores and participation in extracurricular activities. Liu’s tweet encouraged an influx of comments from other users, thanking him for sharing and posting their own experiences with tiger parenting. Reddit user chanma50 shared the tweet on the marvelstudios subreddit, which resulted in even more funny responses. See a few of them below:

simu liu rotten tomatoes reaction

simu liu rotten tomatoes reaction

simu liu rotten tomatoes reaction

As the first Asian-led Marvel superhero movie, there’s a lot riding on Shang-Chi to do well, and so far, the reviews seem to be pretty great. Liu has talked about how important the movie is, not only for him but for the Asian community as well. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, he said:

“There was a time , I didn’t want anybody to see me doing martial arts… but I grew up watching Jet Li and Jackie Chan, and I remember the immense amount of pride that I felt watching them kick ass. I think Shang-Chi can absolutely be that for Asian Americans. It means that kids growing up today will have what we never did — the ability to watch the screen and to really feel seen.”

Liu has been very open in talking about his Asian heritage, sharing some of the struggles his parents went through when they moved to North America and penning a piece about the rise in anti-Asian hate crimes. His fans love that he doesn’t shy away from talking about his heritage and he always does it in a meaningful (and often lighthearted) way. Currently, Shang-Chi has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 91%, which is fantastic. But according to Liu, his parents would probably be wondering where the other 9% is.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings comes out September 3, 2021 in theaters. 

Did Simu Liu’s Rotten Tomatoes reaction hit a chord with you? Let us know in the comments below!

Featured image via screengrab/Marvel Studios

MarvelMovies

Keilin Huang is a freelance writer that likes the Oxford comma, reading from her neverending pile of books from the library, and Reeses peanut butter cups. She thanks her Dad for introducing her to his Superman comics and probably majored in Journalism because of Lois Lane.

Rotten Tomatoesshang chi and the legend of the ten ringsShang-ChiSimu Liu

Leave a comment

Related

Marvel
Great News Marvel® Fans: CGC Comics Announces Special Marvel Labels

Marvel Entertainment, LLC the owners of Marvel Comics®, recently licensed Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) with rights to create certification labels that will feature some of the most iconic characters of Marvel. Marvel legend characters that […]

BY Randy Brooks March 12, 2019
Movies
20th Century Fox Releases a New X-Men, Dark Phoenix Trailer

Recently, 20th Century Fox released another X-Men trailer. Dark Phoenix features Jesica Chastain. She acts as a mysterious foe. The trailer debuted in The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Many X men phoenix fans are […]

BY Randy Brooks March 14, 2019
Marvel
Serial Box: Partnering with Marvel to Tell New Serialized Stories of your Comic Book Superheroes

Image Credits to Jose Maria Miñarro Vivanco Serial Box is a publishing firm that has managed to gain the public’s attention by telling stories in several new ways. The firm is now focusing on telling […]

BY Randy Brooks March 11, 2019

Rail Ad Editorial Content

Rail Ad